I’m at present on a visit to Germany with my dad and mom, and we’re having a good time. I just lately wrote about how renting vehicles in Germany may be enjoyable (as a result of automobile choice plus the power to drive quick), although can I simply take a second to understand how refreshing it’s to drive in Germany typically? I do know this may sound a bit dramatic, however it nearly restores my religion in humanity… I believe I’ve simply been in South Florida for too lengthy.
I used to take pleasure in driving… earlier than I moved to Miami
I believe in the US, most individuals suppose that their metropolis has the worst drivers. Nonetheless, I’d wish to authoritatively state that South Florida (and notably the Miami space) undoubtedly has the worst drivers. Actually, I believe the driving state of affairs in Miami makes me being an introvert even worse, since I simply don’t have the will to get in a automobile anymore. I worth my life an excessive amount of.
Miami drivers on the entire are merely the right mixture of unskilled, uncaring, and aggressive. Whether or not it’s on Biscayne Boulevard or I-95 between Miami and Fort Lauderdale, it simply by no means ceases to amaze me how reckless and unskilled drivers are:
- Slicing into one other lane 5 ft in entrance of one other automobile with out utilizing your blinker is simply customary working process in Miami
- Don’t even get me began on the quantity of unsecured cargo in pick-up vehicles as they’re barreling down the interstate
- You see folks driving within the left lane on I-95 under the pace restrict, after which folks in the best lane going 100 miles per hour
- Typically folks attempt to make a left end up of the right-most lane, and quite than going round and making a U-turn, they’ll simply lower over with no regard for others
- Don’t even get me began on the Dodge Charger people who swerve by site visitors as if it’s a online game, after which you find yourself at a lightweight proper subsequent to them, as a result of they don’t really save any time; I do know they suppose they’re simply oozing BDE and machoness, or one thing, however… they’re not
The opposite day whereas taking a Lyft to Miami Airport, we practically obtained in an accident on three completely different events. The drive was solely quarter-hour. The Lyft driver was a typical Miami driver.
Right here’s one other instance that I believe completely sums up the issue with Miami drivers. Brightline is the superior non-public prepare service between Miami and West Palm Seaside (quickly increasing to Orlando). Because it began in 2017, there have been practically 100 deaths, making it the deadliest per mile prepare observe in the US.
It’s not as a result of something is incorrect with the trains, or as a result of the “gates” aren’t working. Moderately it’s primarily as a result of Miami drivers simply don’t have the endurance to attend for anybody else, even when it’ll price them their life.
Anyway, off my cleaning soap field…
Driving in Germany is such a pleasing expertise
After driving in Germany for a number of days, I nearly really feel like a brand new particular person. I’ve a lot extra favorable of an impression of different people after driving in Germany. Let me clarify…
Driving quick is in fact enjoyable
Germany’s Autobahn is most identified for not having a pace restrict. Sure, many people do take pleasure in driving quick. Although let me simply say that that is maybe a bit overrated. Between site visitors and fixed building, it’s uncommon you could keep excessive speeds for various minutes, at the very least the place we’ve been driving.
You go from an space with a 120km/h pace restrict, to no pace restrict, after which a number of kilometers later, there’s a 120km/h pace restrict once more. Except you wish to consistently be slamming on the brakes (which isn’t advisable), you’re not really going to spend that a lot time going that quick.
It’s good to be with thoughtful, good drivers
Actually, the primary factor I discover refreshing about driving in Germany isn’t even the pace, however quite the final respect drivers present each other. In Germany, you don’t have a complete lot of those “I’m extra essential than you, so I’m simply going to swerve by site visitors so I can get to my vacation spot eight seconds sooner than you” people.
This comes all the way down to quite a lot of elements:
- In Germany you possibly can solely move on the left, so folks transfer additional proper after they’re not passing or when another person needs to move
- In Germany you may have pace cameras, which I really admire, because it limits the variety of folks simply driving fully recklessly
- Getting a driver’s license in Germany isn’t like in the US, the place you mainly simply want a pulse; it’s essential to take lessons, and have much more expertise (for example, simply have a look at how the typical driver in Miami parallel parks)
- Individuals really focus after they drive in Germany, in order that they’re not consistently texting whereas driving, as is means too frequent in Florida
Anyway, maybe I’ve simply been in Florida for too lengthy now, however it’s good to really feel like driving is a semi-enjoyable expertise, quite than a race to remain alive.
Germany is understood for its Autobahn, and lack of pace limits. Whereas the power to drive quick is a bit overrated resulting from all of the restrictions, what isn’t overrated is the final respect and courtesy that Germans present on the street. Driving is an orderly, cooperative expertise. It’s unhappy that I discover this to be so exceptional, however… nicely, I do.
Anybody else take pleasure in driving in Germany, and admire how orderly it’s?