Typically shopping for factors strategically is usually a good worth, and Alaska Airways Mileage Plan is considered one of my favourite packages to purchase miles from, each because of the frequency with which this system sells miles, and what an excellent deal award redemptions may be.
Alaska Mileage Plan has simply launched its latest promotion on bought miles. This has the potential to be fairly an excellent deal, and is according to the perfect promotions we see from this system. Let’s go over the main points.
By Monday, October 30, 2023, the Alaska Airways Mileage Plan program is providing a bonus on bought miles. Typically completely different Mileage Plan members are focused for various bonuses, so that you’ll need to log into your account to see what you’re eligible for. Primarily based on the accounts I handle, it could seem that the usual bonus is for as much as 60%, as follows:
- Purchase 3,000-24,000 miles, get a 40% bonus
- Purchase 25,000-44,000 miles, get a 50% bonus
- Purchase 45,000-100,000 miles, get a 60% bonus
How a lot does it price to purchase Alaska Mileage Plan miles?
Ordinarily you should buy Alaska Mileage Plan miles for two.75 cents every pre-tax, earlier than any reductions or bonuses. In case you have been eligible for the 60% bonus and bought 100,000 Mileage Plan miles pre-bonus, you’d obtain a complete of 160,000 Mileage Plan miles at a value of $2,956.25, which is a price of 1.85 cents per Mileage Plan mile.
Usually once we see promotions on bought Alaska miles, the bonus is within the vary of 40-60%. So a 60% bonus is nearly as good because it will get from this system.
What number of Mileage Plan miles can you buy?
The variety of Alaska miles you should buy will depend on your standing:
- Alaska Mileage Plan elite members (MVP, MVP Gold, MVP Gold 75K, and MVP Gold 100K) can buy a vast variety of miles
- Alaska Mileage Plan non-elite members can buy as much as 150,000 miles per calendar 12 months; that restrict doesn’t embrace the bonus miles
Word that in all instances you’re restricted to buying 100,000 Mileage Plan miles per transaction (pre-bonus), although you possibly can at all times make a number of transactions. Moreover, you possibly can solely buy miles in the event you’ve been a member of Mileage Plan for not less than 10 days.
Which bank card must you purchase Mileage Plan miles with?
Alaska Mileage Plan mileage purchases are processed by factors.com, that means they don’t depend as an airfare buy for the needs of bank card spending.
Subsequently I’d suggest utilizing a card on which you’re making an attempt to succeed in a minimal spending requirement, or in any other case, a bank card that maximizes your return on on a regular basis spending, just like the Chase Freedom Limitless® (overview), Citi® Double Money Card (overview), or Capital One Enterprise Rewards Credit score Card (overview) (Charges & Charges).
Earn 1% money again once you make a purchase order, earn 1% money again once you pay for that buy
Chase Freedom Limitless®
Earn 3% Money Again on Eating
Earn 3% Money Again at Drugstores
Earn 1.5% Money Again On All Different Purchases
Capital One Enterprise Rewards Credit score Card
Earn limitless 2X miles on each buy, daily
No International Transaction Charges
World Entry/TSA Pre-Test Credit score
Capital One Enterprise X Rewards Credit score Card
Earn 2x Enterprise miles on each buy
No International Transaction Charges
10,000 bonus miles each account anniversary
The Blue Enterprise® Plus Credit score Card from American Categorical
2x factors on purchases as much as $50k then 1x
Entry to Amex Gives
No annual charge
See this put up for extra on which bank cards are greatest for purchasing factors.
Is shopping for Alaska Mileage Plan miles price it?
There are such a lot of issues to like about Alaska Mileage Plan miles:
- Alaska Mileage Plan has among the many most cheap premium cabin redemption charges you’ll discover on the market for journey on many associate airways; sadly a few of the new redemption companions added in latest months don’t provide the identical worth
- Alaska Mileage Plan has a novel array of airline companions — the airline belongs to the oneworld alliance so has numerous companions inside the alliance, but additionally has a number of non-oneworld companions, starting from Condor, to Fiji Airways, to Icelandair, to LATAM, to Singapore Airways
- Alaska Mileage Plan permits stopovers on award tickets, which most packages don’t enable these days; this may stretch your miles quite a bit additional
- Miles are bought at an inexpensive worth and may be purchased in giant portions, making this a terrific program for “ranging from scratch” and saving cash on a premium worldwide ticket
So sure, I feel there are a lot of conditions the place there’s enormous worth in shopping for Mileage Plan miles, particularly in the event you discover premium cabin award area on airways like Cathay Pacific, Japan Airways, Qantas, and so forth.
On what airways are you able to redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles?
At present it’s doable to redeem Alaska Mileage Plan miles on the next associate airways:
- Aer Lingus
- Air Tahiti Nui
- American Airways
- British Airways
- Cathay Pacific
- EL AL
- Fiji Airways
- Hainan Airways
- Japan Airways
- Korean Air
- Malaysia Airways
- Qatar Airways
- Royal Air Maroc
- Royal Jordanian
- Singapore Airways
- SriLankan Airways
- Starlux Airways
What are good makes use of of Alaska Mileage Plan miles?
There are such a lot of unimaginable makes use of of Alaska Mileage Plan miles, so let me give some examples of one-way redemption charges:
- Between the USA and Asia, you possibly can fly Cathay Pacific first-class for 70,000 miles, or Cathay Pacific enterprise class for 50,000 miles
- Between the USA and Japan, you possibly can fly Japan Airways first-class beginning at 85,000 miles, or Japan Airways enterprise class beginning at 60,000 miles
- Between the USA and Australia or New Zealand, you possibly can fly Fiji Airways enterprise class for 55,000 miles
- Between the USA and Australia, you possibly can fly Qantas first-class for 70,000 miles, or Qantas enterprise class for 55,000 miles
- Between the USA and Tahiti, you possibly can fly Air Tahiti Nui enterprise class for 60,000 miles
- Between the USA and Europe, you possibly can fly Condor enterprise class for 55,000 miles
- Between the USA and Europe, you possibly can fly Icelandair enterprise class for 55,000 miles
- Between the USA and Europe, you possibly can fly Aer Lingus enterprise class for 60,000 miles
- Between the USA and Europe, you possibly can fly Finnair enterprise class for 70,000 miles
- Between the USA and South America, you possibly can fly LATAM enterprise class for 45,000 miles
These are simply a few of the nice methods to redeem Mileage Plan miles, and as I’ll clarify beneath, it doesn’t totally do justice to how a lot worth you possibly can doubtlessly get with these miles.
Tip: Make the most of Alaska’s beneficiant stopover coverage
One in every of my favourite elements of Alaska Mileage Plan miles is that you simply’re allowed a stopover on a associate award ticket with out paying further miles. Because you’re allowed a stopover even on a one-way, this implies you could possibly have two stopovers on a roundtrip award.
These days most airline loyalty packages have eradicated free stopovers on award tickets, so that is one thing that actually units this system aside. The one exception is that stopovers aren’t allowed in case your award is solely for journey inside Asia.
That is such an superior and underrated profit, because the potential right here is large:
- Flying from New York to Bali through Hong Kong? You’ll be able to cease in Hong Kong for a number of days!
- Flying from Chicago to Singapore through Tokyo? You’ll be able to cease in Japan for a number of days!
- Flying from Los Angeles to Sydney through Nadi? You’ll be able to cease in Fiji for a number of days!
- Flying from Seattle to Frankfurt through Keflavik? You’ll be able to cease in Iceland for a number of days!
- Flying from Miami to Santiago through Lima? You’ll be able to cease in Peru for a number of days!
Are there gas surcharges on Alaska Mileage Plan awards?
Many customers are annoyed by the apply of airways including service imposed surcharges to award tickets. Within the case of Mileage Plan, most companions don’t have these surcharges. Nonetheless, there are surcharges for journey on British Airways, Hainan Airways, and Icelandair, which is one thing to remember.
How a lot are Alaska Mileage Plan miles price?
Everybody will worth mileage currencies otherwise, however personally I worth Alaska Mileage Plan miles at ~1.5 cents every, which is according to the best I worth any single airline mileage forex. I are likely to worth factors fairly conservatively, and there are a lot of methods to get extra worth from Mileage Plan miles than that (as I’ve hopefully demonstrated above).
Do Alaska Mileage Plan miles expire?
Alaska Mileage Plan miles don’t expire so long as you’ve not less than some account exercise as soon as each 24 months. Account exercise may embrace incomes or redeeming miles.
What different methods are you able to earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles?
There are a number of methods to earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles, each by flying and non-flying means. Alaska Mileage Plan isn’t switch companions with one of many main transferable factors currencies, so the simplest method to earn Alaska miles is with one of many co-branded bank cards, which embrace the:
Each provide nice welcome bonuses after finishing a average minimal spending quantity. There are many different nice perks to those playing cards as nicely.
Alaska Mileage Plan is without doubt one of the most profitable loyalty packages to purchase miles from, because of the superb redemption charges, stopovers on one-way awards, and number of companions.
Mileage Plan is providing a bonus of as much as 60% on bought miles, which is a chance to choose up miles for round 1.85 cents every. There’s numerous worth available with this provide in the event you’re being strategic, although admittedly not all candy spots are nearly as good as they used to. Everybody ought to crunch the numbers for themselves.
Do you intend on buying Alaska Mileage Plan miles with this promotion?