American Airways Shocks Flyers: Constructive AAdvantage Program Modifications For 2024
American Airways has introduced upcoming adjustments to the AAdvantage program, and they’re (1) most significantly, not large adjustments and (2) typically optimistic. That’s not one thing we’ve come to anticipate!
- No adjustments to how standing is earned. They aren’t rising the quantity of exercise it is advisable to earn standing between March 2024 and February 2025.
- No adjustments to the price of award tickets.
- Extra advantages only for being a member of this system.
Redeem Miles For Flagship First Eating Entry
American Airways is introducing a brand new “Improve With Miles” possibility. Platinum Professional members and better will be capable to redeem miles for entry to the airline’s Flagship First Eating. They haven’t but launched how a lot it will value.
Flagship First Eating is a sit-down restaurant with prime quality meals and beverage choices inside a number of the airline’s enterprise class lounges. My expectation is that the price might be… prohibitive. They cost greater than I’d pay for entry to their enterprise class Flagship lounges. And the price of the present possibility below ‘Improve With Miles’ – gifting standing for a single journey – is dear.
Nonetheless I’m nonetheless hopeful that members use this selection, as a result of if American Airways could make the economics of Flagship First Eating work whilst they get rid of top quality (from Boeing 777-300ER and Airbus A321T plane as these get reconfigured) then it’ll be a motive to maintain the product. Certainly, it may even be a motive to re-open the Los Angeles First Eating facility.
DFW Flagship First Eating
Presently there are solely Flagship First Eating choices in Miami and at Dallas – Fort Price, since JFK First Eating is now simply part of the enterprise class Greenwich lounge and lengthy haul and premium transcon top quality passengers have entry to the shared American-British Airways Chelsea lounge, which isn’t nearly as good as JFK’s Flagship First Eating was once.
Accomplice Airline Upgrades Are Coming
Whereas Star Alliance has had an improve product that allowed members to make use of their miles for upgrades throughout member airways, oneworld and SkyTeam haven’t had this.
American Airways has provided the flexibility to make use of miles in a restricted trend to improve on British Airways and Iberia, and never even different three way partnership companions despite the fact that Qantas upgrades had been talked up firstly of 2016. American and Alaska provide reciprocal upgrades as a profit to every others’ elite members.
Quickly (“in 2024”) American will provide a brand new choice to or mileage upgrades on “choose” airline companions. They’re not providing extra particulars than this presently.
I’d speculate that this will merely be entry to the broader long-delayed oneworld alliance improve program. Though there had additionally been some discuss of individually introducing upgrades with three way partnership companions Japan Airways and Qantas.
British Airways Membership Suite
Higher Journey Advantages For Becoming a member of The Program
Being an AAdvantage member already will get you a greater boarding place which in flip means a higher probability of getting access to overhead bin house. That’s an incentive to affix the AAdvantage progam.
American is transferring extra advantages beneath being a member of this system – stuff you’ll be capable to do with the airline, and issues that beforehand required AAdvantage standing. What Delta has proven us, with free inflight wifi, is that there’s a giant guess that attracting members to this system means changing members to bank card prospects. These are cheap methods to amass AAdvantage prospects, and total a motive to affix.
- Free same-day standby on home flights for all AAdvantage members begins March 1. In fact, American’s standby insurance policies are extra restrictive than these of rivals. Stock is extra restricted (and standing by as a paid top quality passenger is proscribed as effectively). Most significantly, American nonetheless requires you to observe the identical routing for those who’re taking connecting flights. When you had been connecting in Charlotte to get house, you possibly can’t join in Dallas Fort-Price as an alternative.
- Prolonged Journey Credit score members who cancel journey on-line get an additional six months of validity for his or her journey credit score. Typically meaning 18 months as an alternative of a 12 months.
- Purchase passes to Admirals Golf equipment and Flagship lounges it seems this might be restrictive to prospects who’re members of AAdvantage. Day passes to Admirals Golf equipment are $79 and Flagship lounge single go to passes will value $159 or 15,900 miles.
- Itinerary holds would require AAdvantage membership Free 24 hour holds (for bookings seven or extra days previous to departure) might be restricted to members. Whereas in some sense a restriction, it’s one thing anybody can typically overcome, and implicit is a suggestion that reservation holds will stay after testing the elimination of those holds.
- Get journey credit score when cancelling fundamental financial system tickets Later in January members will be capable to cancel and retain journey credit score, after $99 charge, for fundamental financial system fares. That is an enchancment in comparison with forfeiting the worth of tickets completely.
Whereas there are actual alternatives for continued enchancment right here, I don’t see any of those adjustments as damaging total.
Extra Modifications To Come?
American Airways particularly calls out that there aren’t any adjustments to the AAdvantage award chart. That’s essential for members as a result of the best worth from this system comes from awards on their airline companions, and the value of these hasn’t modified since October 2016. It’s these awards which might be the ‘killer app’ of this system, providing a shopper benefit relative to Delta and to United (which has extra companions and incessantly higher availability on these companions).
A few weeks in the past American Airways Chief Business Officer Vasu Raja dropped breadcrumbs about future adjustments to this system however these actually don’t appear to be mirrored right here.
Over time we might even see extra variable mileage incomes based mostly on the place you e book your ticket and whether or not you could have an AAdvantage bank card; redemption value adjustments for associate awards; and adjustments to the worth proposition of their co-brand bank cards. Announcement of these adjustments don’t essentially should coincide with the beginning of a standing membership 12 months.